As a registered charity, Help Bristol’s Homeless is eligible to claim Gift Aid.
Gift Aid allows UK charities to claim back the basic rate tax already paid on donations by the donor. This means we can claim back from the government on your behalf 25p for every £1 donated, boosting the value of the donation by a quarter.
How does Gift Aid work?
When a UK taxpayer gives a gift of money to a charity, tax has already been paid on that money. Because we are exempt from tax, we can claim this money back from HM Revenue & Customs.
In addition to this, we can also claim Gift Aid for previous donations made to us by a UK taxpayer.
Why are some donations not eligible for Gift Aid?
Donations from non-UK taxpayers are not eligible for Gift Aid.
HMRC regulations also mean that we can’t reclaim Gift Aid on a donation if the donor told us that:
- the donation was on behalf of someone else or a group of people
- the donation was on behalf of a company
- the donation was to a family member or friend doing an event where the charity is contributing to their costs
- the donation was made in return for goods, rights or services.
How do we claim Gift Aid?
For us to claim Gift Aid, the following criteria must be met by the donor.
The donor must:
- have paid at least as much in Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax in that tax year as you want to claim in Gift Aid
- make a Gift Aid declaration that gives us permission to claim it
Gift Aid declaration
If you have made a donation within the last 4 years or intend to make a future donation, please download, complete and return one of the following Gift Aid declarations:
Multiple Donation – By completing the multiple donation declaration, you will be giving us permission to claim Gift Aid on all your future donations. With this option, we can also claim back for any previous donations you have made to us.
Single Donation – The single donation declaration is to be used by individuals that intend to make a one-off donation to us.
Once you have completed the appropriate Gift Aid declaration, please return to us using the following address:
Help Bristol’s Homeless
Unit 15, Windmill Farm Business Centre,
Bristol BS3 4DB
Alternatively, you can email your completed Gift Aid declaration to – email@example.com