We all know how different it can be to keep warm at home in this cold weather. So imagine how hard it can be to stay warm when you’re homeless.
The average age of rough sleepers who died in the last five years was 43, around half the usual life expectancy in the UK.
In 2018, an independent report found that 78 homeless people died in the UK because of the winter conditions.
These figures are shocking, but we believe that with the right action those figures can be significantly lowered.
The following advice is to help Bristol’s homeless stay warm during this cold snap.
Advice for rough sleepers in Bristol:
The first thing that we recommend you do is to contact StreetLink. StreetLink is the national rough sleeper referral service, managed by Homeless Link.
Second, we invite you to visit our site on Malago Road, opposite Screwfix. We can offer you hot drinks and food; a warm shower; clothing and a sleeping bag.
We also have our overnight sleeper the 360winx bus, and we may be able to offer you a bed for the night. Unfortunately, due to space restrictions beds are available on a first come basis.
Tips for keeping warm:
- Wear warm clothes – layers are best because they help to trap the heat.
- Wear hat and gloves – It is a myth that you lose most of your body heat through your head however you WILL lose heat from any part of your body that is exposed.
- Take regular hot drinks and food – The more you eat, you enable your body can generate energy that can help keep you warm.
- Find boxes to create a shelter – We understand that this is not an ideal solution, but it can mean the difference between life and death. Just be sure to tidy your sleeping area before you leave.
- Stay within the city – We know that it can be tempting to sleep out in the woods or on the outskirt of town however by doing so you become exposed to the elements. Within the city, the buildings act as a shelter, retain their heart and lift the temperature by a couple of degrees which again can be a lifesaver. Finally, you will also have access to outreach services and others that what to help.
Advice for the public:
Please download the Streetlink App and send an alert whenever you see a rough sleeper. The details you provide will help them find the individual and connect them to support.
Like the advice, we have previously offered, we encourage you to inform the homeless about our site on Malago Road.
If you want to help someone that is street homeless personally, please offer them hot drinks and food, clothing and other essential items.
Our Contact Details:
If you would like any further advice or need support, you can contact us using the details below.
Help Bristol’s Homeless – Malago Site
Bristol, BS3 4JR
Phone: 0117 422 6115